If you’re looking for things to do while self-isolating, the CEO of Q Report Jewellery Insurance has shown us how you can clean your engagement ring at home!
After a few months of being engaged, you may notice that your engagement ring has lost its sparkle – and a simple rub with a jewellery polish cloth, isn’t bringing it back. You may think that the next best alternative is toothpaste… but wait! Did you know that toothpaste is abrasive and can easily get stuck underneath the claws of your ring? Well, neither did we, Fairies!
Here’s what you need to clean your engagement ring at home:
- Methylated spirits
- Bowl of hot water
- Hand soap
- Soft cloth
Before going ahead, it important that you think of your engagement ring as a triangle, rather than a flat surface. As time goes by, every day products such as hand cream, hair gel and makeup, can often become trapped underneath the stone and its claws. This stops the reflection of light from bouncing through it, and thus create the loss of shine.
Here’s how to clean your engagement ring at home:
- Soak the ring into methylated spirits for about 20 seconds.
- Take the toothbrush and brush the back of the ring, making sure to get into the claws. The toothbrush will dislodge any build-up.
- Rinse the ring with hot water.
- Lather some hand soap onto the ring, and use the toothbrush to scrub it the same way as before.
- Rinse the ring with hot water again.
- Dry the ring using a soft cloth.
Voila! Here’s a video tutorial for some further demonstration…
Digital Content Coordinator: Zoe Kanlis
Featured Image: Q Report Jewellery Insurance