Indian weddings are not only a celebration of love and unity but also a display of vibrant fashion and rich cultural traditions. Every aspect of an Indian wedding, including the dress code, holds significant importance in the cultural and traditional context. Dressing appropriately becomes a crucial aspect of attending an Indian wedding, where fashion, tradition, and culture intertwine to create a mesmerizing spectacle. In this article, we will guide you on your Indian wedding attire, explore the different styles of clothing you can choose from, and emphasize the importance of following the dress code to honor the cultural significance of the event.
What to Wear to an Indian Wedding
When attending an Indian wedding, it’s essential to keep in mind the cultural and traditional significance of the event. Women can choose to wear sarees, lehengas, or anarkalis, while men can opt for sherwanis, kurtas, or suits. It’s essential to dress in rich fabrics such as silk, velvet, or brocade that are associated with Indian traditional wear. Jewelry is also an essential aspect of your Indian wedding attire. Women can choose to wear heavy earrings, necklaces, bangles, and maang tikas. Men can opt for a brooch, a watch, or a chain.
Styles of Clothing to Wear
- Sarees: Sarees are the most popular traditional Indian attire for women. They come in a variety of fabrics, colors, and styles. A saree is a long piece of cloth that is draped around the waist and then over the shoulder. It can be worn with a blouse and a petticoat.
- Lehengas: Lehengas are another popular choice for women attending an Indian wedding. They are a skirt and blouse combination that is heavily embroidered and embellished. Lehengas come in various styles such as A-line, mermaid, and flared.
- Anarkalis: Anarkalis are a modern take on traditional Indian wear. They are long, flowing dresses that have a fitted bodice and flared bottoms. Anarkalis are comfortable to wear and come in a range of fabrics and designs.
- Sherwanis: Sherwanis are a popular choice for men attending an Indian wedding. They are long, knee-length jackets that are heavily embroidered and worn with a pair of matching pants. Sherwanis are usually made of silk or velvet and come in various colors.
- Kurtas: Kurtas are a versatile option for men attending an Indian wedding. They are long shirts that are worn with a pair of matching pants. Kurtas come in various fabrics such as silk, cotton, and linen.
Importance of Following Dress Code
Indian weddings have a specific dress code that guests are expected to follow. It’s essential to adhere to the dress code as it shows respect for the culture and tradition of the event. If you’re unsure about the dress code, it’s always better to ask the host or consult the invitation. It’s also essential to keep in mind the modesty standards of Indian culture. Avoid wearing clothes that are too revealing or provocative.
Attending an Indian wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Dressing up appropriately shows respect for the culture and tradition of the event. Women can choose from sarees, lehengas, or anarkalis, while men can opt for sherwanis or kurtas. Adhering to the dress code and modesty standards is essential when attending an Indian wedding. With the right attire and jewelry, you’re sure to make a lasting impression at the event.
READ MORE: 7 INCREDIBLE TRADITIONAL WEDDING OUTFITS FROM AROUND THE WORLD