The biggest and most important question Brides have when they’re planning an overseas destination Wedding is – how do I make sure the Marriage will be recognised when we return to Australia?

The last thing a newlywed couple want when they return to the country is to find out that after the months of planning and money spent on their Big Day, it was not legal ceremony.

We’ve done the research and put together the basics that you need to know if you’re getting hitched overseas.


Bookmark the Australian Government’s SmartTraveller website; we guarantee you’ll be referring to it regularly leading up to the Big Day.

Get a CNI

Most countries overseas will require the Bride and Groom to Be to provide a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage to complete the union. This is available from DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade)  or the Australian consulate within the country you’re looking at getting hitched.

Have Your Birth Certificate

Some foreign countries require to sight both your passport and birth certificate to complete the Marriage.


Consider a Local Planner

We can’t stress enough the importance of having a Wedding planner based in the country you’re getting Married. Not only will they speak the language, know the suppliers and help you with budgeting, but they’ll also guide you with their government’s rules and regulations for a legally binding Wedding.

Is It Legal in Australia?

The Australian Government will generally recognise any Marriage that is:
a) valid under the law of the country you got Married in; or
b) would have been valid under Australian law if the Marriage had taken place in Australia

Australia is reasonably relaxed when it comes to destination Weddings, so simply bring back your foreign Marriage certificate and you should be fine!

Images from Krystal and Rob’s Wedding. Photography by Lauren Michelle.

Posted in Expert Advice, Planning, Venues by wedded wonderland

Join Our Mailing List

Back To Top